Thursday, April 9, 2009

To Muff or Not to Muff.....It it REALLY a question?

The Cardinal is out on my front porch again stealing stray dog food. He then flys it over to his mate on the picnic table and she then flys off with it. For their brood? I don't have any idea what they are doing with it but these are the little I see every day in the country. When we first moved here eleven years ago-Nothing. And really nothing for many years after either. It seemed as soon as we started putting in the gardens and the Martin houses they came. So, I guess it's true: Build and they will come.....
On another note. I have been told that another family member shares my love of Muffalettas. So, today I am sharing my recipe for the Olive Mix so he can make his own. Because I know what an addiction those things came become and how irritating it is when you can't get your hands on one at 2AM. It also gets kind of expensive too and it's just so incredibly easy to make your own. So here's the recipe:

OLIVE MIX-
2 Cups (10-oz. jar) chopped Green Olives w/ Pimientos
1 large can sliced Black Olives
1/4 teaspoon Celery Seed
1/2 teaspoon dried Rosemary, chopped
3/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried Oregano
1 Tablespoon dried Parsley
1 1/2 Tablespoons White or Red Wine Vinegar
3/4 Cup Olive Oil

Drain Olives & chop up well. Mix together with other ingredients and let marinate in refrigerator for 2-3 days before using.

Original recipe called for 2 T. chopped Celery, 3/4 C. chopped Carrot, 1/2 C. chopped Cauliflower, 1/2 C. chopped Red Bell Pepper. Although, good-I'm sure. All those fresh ingredients surely cut down on the shelf-life of the mix. I'm just guessing. This version still gives you all the flavor and will last almost indefinitely.

As for the rest of the sandwich.....You can pretty much make it any way you like. I'm partial to toasted pita breads with ham/Genoa salami/provolone cheese/warm it up/and add a little "rabbit fodder", i.e. lettuce and tomato. I think Mom used to like it with just turkey breast and provolone on a focaccia-type bread. So, anyhow-the recipe I have says to use-

SANDWICH-
1 loaf round Italian bread
1/4 pound sliced mozzarella
1/4 pound sliced provolone
1/4 pound thin-sliced ham
1/4 pound thin-sliced hard salami
1/4 pound thin-sliced mortadella-or substitute a good-quality bologna

Slice bread loaf in half from side-to-side, pile on meats and cheeses, add the olive mix & enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment